Guide to Towcester Racecourse
Towcester Racecourse News from Eclipse
Straight from the Horses' Mouth...
Towcester Racecourse News
- RT @GreyhoundBoard: The @StarSports_Bet and TRC Events & Leisure Greyhound Derby 2021 begins on...
- RT @GreyhoundBoard: 📆 Tuesday 13th April, the TRC Health + Hygiene Northamptonshire Sprint final...
- Advanced trial card for Tuesday 13th April https://t.co/Ydh1WmBoDu
- Advanced trial card for Monday 12th April https://t.co/AYHLlrr6YF
- Advanced trial card for Sunday 11th April https://t.co/Weg9VeNt04
About Towcester Racecourse
Elizabeth, Empress of Austria
Although the first official National Hunt races at Towcester Racecourse date back to 1928, racing has taken place at the Easton Neston estate since 1876 when Elizabeth, the Empress of Austria stayed there. She loved hunting so a steeplechase meeting was held in her honour. The Empress was so delighted she planned a race meeting of her own for Easter Monday, 1876. In preparation, a course was laid out in Easton Neston park. The meeting was such a huge success, it was scheduled to become an annual event.
The owner of Easton Neston, Sir Thomas Fermor-Hesketh, formed a committee to manage the fixture. In 1928, the first Lord Hesketh formed the Towcester Racecourse Company and established the racecourse under National Hunt Rules. A grandstand was built for the occasion and further improvements since included the addition of a greyhound track in 2014.
In 2004 and again in 2008 Lord Hesketh attempted to sell Towcester Racecourse to no avail: it went into administration in 2018. In October 2019 Kevin Boothby, the greyhound racing promoter at Henlow Stadium in Bedfordshire, took on a 10-year lease for the course, reinstating greyhound racing and considering plans for horseracing to make a comeback in the form of point-to-point.
Greyhound racing currently takes place and further entertainment – with watersports, festivals, concerts and an open-air cinema – is in the pipeline.
- Road: Leave the M1 at Junction 15a and follow the signs through Towcester to the course.
- Rail: Milton Keynes is the nearest station, 11 miles away.
- Website: www.towcester-racecourse.co.uk
- Telephone: 01273 603580.
The Towcester Racecourse Directory - Local Services
Travelling to Towcester Races? Want to know where to stay, where to eat, where to get your hair and nails done? How about where the best pubs are and the name of a reliable taxi? We can help. Check back frequently – this section is updated on a regular basis.