The Eclipse Stakes is a Group 1 flat race open to horses aged three years or older. It is run over a distance of 1 mile, 2 furlongs and 7 yards (2,018 metres), and takes place each year in early July at Sandown Park Racecourse.
The day’s top class racing was rounded up with a post-racing parade ring after-party featuring DJ Scott Mills.
The Coral-Eclipse Stakes this year saw a dramatic renewal result in a photo finish showing 8/1 shot Ulysses (pictured above) and his jockey Jim Crowley just holding off the late challenge from Barney Roy.
Earlier in the race Cliffs Of Moher, the 7/4 favourite ridden by Ryan Moore, had his chance denied when stablemate Taj Mahal ridden by (Derby-winner) Padraig Beggy rode towards the rail, cutting across Eminent, with Decorated Knight then pushed towards Cliffs of Moher. Moore’s mount was snatched back, losing momentum – and three lengths – to finish fourth.
Eminent’s jockey Silvestre de Sousa then found himself in too tight on the home straight and shunted into Decorated Knight (ridden by Olivier Peslier) – while Eminent leaned over to bite at his rival.
The Stewards were kept so busy that their Enquiry lasted until after the next race.
Eventually, Ulysses was declared the winner bringing trainer Sir Michael Stoute’s tally to six Eclipse winners, matching Alec Taylor Jr’s century-old record.
Pictured above, left to right (click pictures to enlarge):
- The Coral-Eclipse Stakes is part of the QIPCO British Champions Series
- Aiden O’Brien
- Barney Roy
- Aiden O’Brien and Padraig Beggy on Taj Mahal
- James Doyle aboard Barney Roy
- Jim Crowley on Ulysses, and Sir Michael Stoute
- Richard Hannon Jnr, trainer of Barney Roy
- Ryan Moore on Cliffs Of Moher
- Ulysses’ stable lass
- Ulysses is the winner
Pictured above, left to right:
- Hayley Moore, TV presenter for ITV
- Tom with Jessica Rea, milliner, Young Ambassador for Epsom Racecourse, and one of the judges for Epsom’s Ladies’ Day competition
- Jessica Rea and Hayley Moore who she styled for this event
- Instagrammers Arabella Golby (arabellagolby) and Sean (Sugsean)
- Roger Dunn from the Jockey Club: he escorts all the horses to the testing box
- The After-Party with Scott Mills
Latest posts by Rachel Groom (see all)
- Sandown Eclipse Day 2017 – Photos - July 17, 2017
- Sandown Ladies’ Day 2017 – Photos - July 17, 2017
- Epsom Derby 2017: 20 horses go forward including two supplementary entries - May 30, 2017