This month we are celebrating British summer berries and for a fabulous racing picnic centrepiece why not try this terrific Sherry Trifle?
A quick-to-make pudding with layers of flavour, this uses the best of fine British ingredients. It makes the perfect dessert to serve at a traditional British celebration.
Preparation time:20 minutes
Cooking time:No cooking required
300g pack Waitrose Frozen British Raspberries
300g pack Waitrose Frozen British Blackberries
2 tbsp icing sugar
100ml Waitrose Berry Red Smoothie
1 Waitrose Madeira Loaf Cake, cut into 16 pieces
100ml Waitrose Cream Sherry
250g tub essential Waitrose Creamy Soft Cheese
½ x 500g essential Waitrose Fresh Custard
300ml tub Waitrose Extra Thick Double Cream
2 tbsp toasted flaked almonds
2 tsp Cooks’ Homebaking Freeze Dried Strawberries
- Place the berries in a bowl and gently stir in the icing sugar and berry smoothie. Set aside for 5–10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, crumble half the Madeira cake into the base of a large glass serving bowl. Drizzle over half the sherry and set aside for 5 minutes, then spoon over half the berries and some of the liquid from the bowl. Crumble the remaining cake on top, sprinkle with the rest of the sherry, then spoon over the last of the berries and any juices.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the soft cheese until smooth then add the custard, whisking until well blended. Pour over the fruit. Cover with clingfilm and chill.
- When ready to serve, spoon the extra thick double cream over the top of the custard layer. Scatter over the almonds and freeze dried strawberries, and serve.
To make individual servings, prepare the trifle mixture in 8 wine glasses, layering up the ingredients to get the same effect.
For even more flavour, use fresh berries in summer when available.
She absolutely loves her job (how many people can say that?!) and is truly grateful to all supporters of and contributors to Eclipse Magazine.
If you are reading this she would like to say THANK YOU! (And please spread the word about Eclipse...!!)
Latest posts by Karen Sargeant (see all)
- Quick Guide to the Ayr Gold Cup Festival - August 22, 2017
- GUIDE TO THE DONCASTER ST LEGER FESTIVAL - August 22, 2017
- Dapper Dress for Men at the St Leger Festival 2017 - August 12, 2017