Guide to Sandown Park Racecourse
Sandown ParkNews from Eclipse
Straight from the Horses' Mouth...
Sandown Racecourse News
About Sandown Park Racecourse
Flat / National Hunt
First purpose-built racecourse
Opened in 1875, Sandown Park was the first purpose-built racecourse in Britain and as such, became the first to have paid entry and first to have a Member’s Enclosure.
Being proposed as a fully enclosed racecourse, it won the battle for the site over a lunatic asylum, which had been the preferred choice.
‘The Ladies’ Racecourse’
The new racecourse focused on etiquette, encouraging women racegoers to attend and becoming known as ‘the ladies’ racecourse’.
Favourite of the Queen Mother
The inaugural meeting was attended by top jockey Fred Archer and later the course became a favourite of the Queen Mother whose horse Special Cargo, won the Whitbread Cup (now known as the Gold Cup) in 1984.
Jump & Flat Racing
Sandown Park is one of only two courses to offer Flat and Jump racing on the same day (the other is Haydock Park).
- April – Sandown Gold Cup
- July – Eclipse Stakes FOR FESTIVAL GUIDE CLICK HERE
- December – Tingle Creek Chase
- Road: Leave the M25 at Junction 10 and follow the A3 towards London; exit onto the A307 and follow the signs.
- Rail: Esher Station is about 10 minutes walk from the course.
- Website: www.sandown.thejockeyclub.co.uk
- Telephone: 01372 464348
The Sandown Park Racecourse Directory - Local Services
Travelling to Sandown Park Races? Want to know where to stay, where to eat, where to get your hair and nails done? How about where the best pubs are and the name of a reliable taxi? We can help. Check back frequently – this section is updated on a regular basis.