Guide to Kempton Park Racecourse
Kempton Park Racecourse News from Eclipse
Straight from the Horses' Mouth...
Kempton Park Racecourse News
About Kempton Races
Flat / National Hunt / All Weather
While out on a country jaunt Henry Hyde came across Kempton Manor and Park for sale – he leased the land and six years later racing began at Kempton Park in 1878.
Closest Racecourse to London
Kempton, near Richmond, is the closest racecourse to central London and has both Flat and Jump races throughout the year.
An all-weather floodlit course was opened in 2006, making it one of only three racecourses in Britain with both an artificial track for Flat racing and a turf course for Jumps.
The Kempton King George
Its flagship race, the King George VI Chase held on Boxing Day, is the second most prestigious chase in England after the Cheltenham Gold Cup. Famously won three times by Wayward Lad, four times by Desert Orchid and a record five times by Kauto Star.
- January – Lanzarote Hurdle
- September – Magnolia Stakes, Rosebery Stakes
- December – Winter Festival including the ‘King George’ FOR FESTIVAL GUIDE CLICK HERE
- Road: Leave the M3 eastbound at junction 1; follow the A308 for about a mile.
- Rail: The course has its own station reached from London Waterloo.
- Website: www.kempton.thejockeyclub.co.uk
- Telephone: 01932 782292.