Guide to Hexham Racecourse
Hexham Racecourse has hosted National Hunt racing for more than 200 years. It’s known as a warm and friendly racecourse that hosts Jump Racing during the Flat Racing season.
Hexham Racecourse News from Eclipse
Straight from the Horses' Mouth...
Hexham Racecourse News
- RT @PB_jockeyagent: Introducing Mr Eireann Cagney @E_Cagney (green colours) available for Flat...
- RT @PB_jockeyagent: The following jockeys (Flat/NH/Amateur) can now be booked through me for rides....
- RT @AtTheRaces: How a 1/5 favourite should win!Rayna's World was third to Concertista at the...
- The participants in the exciting dead heat for the eighth race @hexhamraces a double for the...
- Very exciting dead heat for the Linnels Handicap Steeplechase @hexhamraces and a double for the...
About Hexham Racecourse
Hexham has hosted National Hunt racing for more than 200 years. The racecourse itself was founded in 1890 by Charles William Chipchase Henderson, a keen sportsman whose Family founded the Durham Carpet Company.
In 1907 ‘CWC’ as he was known, bought the racecourse land and made further improvements, including planting the copper beech hedge wings – which still remain today – and the window frames, guttering and all the buildings were painted blue and yellow in his racing colours. Almost 100 years after ‘CWC’ created Hexham Racecourse his great grandson Major Charles Enderby took over the course until 2016 when it was bought by Hexham and Northern Marts, another historic local company.
Warm and Friendly Reputation
Though it is high up on the moors at 800ft, with scenic views, it is renowned as a warm and friendly course. The most famous of the races held there is the Heart of All England steeplechase, which started in 1907.
Out of Season
Most its Jump races are held outside of the main National Hunt season, throughout the summer.
May – Heart of all England Maiden Hunters’ Chase
Hexham Racecourse, High Yarridge, Hexham, Northumberland NE46 2JP.
- Road: The course is just over a mile south of Hexham on the B6305.
- Rail: The nearest station is Hexham.
- Website: www.hexham-racecourse.co.uk
- Telephone: 01434 606881 or 604392.
The Hexham Racecourse Directory - Local Services
Travelling to Hexham Races? Want to know where to stay, where to eat, where to get your hair and nails done? How about where the best pubs are and the name of a reliable taxi? We can help. Check back frequently – this section is updated on a regular basis.