Guide to Hereford Racecourse
Hereford Races News from Eclipse
Straight from the Horses' Mouth...
Hereford Racecourse News
About Hereford Racecourse
Originally a Flat Course
Racing started at Hereford in August 1771. The first Jump race at the course was in 1840. The last Flat race was in September 1883, and racing has been strictly Jumping since.
National Hunt racing stopped at Hereford Racecourse in December 2012 after the owners, Arena Racing Company, failed to secure a new lease from Herefordshire council. It continued to host Arab Racing and Point-to-Point fixtures until National Hunt racing resumed in October 2016.
Paul Nicholls & Richard Johnson
At this course in December 1991 Paul Nicholls achieved his first winner as a trainer, with Olveston. In April 1994 jockey Richard Johnson achieved his first career win with Rusty Bridge in a Hunters’ Chase.
- Although it does not feature any notable races, Hereford is a popular track for the West Country and Lambourn trainers to send young horses to learn their trade.
- December – Christmas Raceday
Hereford Racecourse, Roman Rd, Hereford HR4 9QU.
- Road: The course is just north of Hereford, off the A49.
- Rail: Hereford Station is 1 mile from the course.
- Website: www.hereford-racecourse.co.uk.
- Telephone: Enquiries – 01291 622260.
The Hereford Racecourse Directory - Local Services
Travelling to Hereford Races? Want to know where to stay, where to eat, where to get your hair and nails done? How about where the best pubs are and the name of a reliable taxi? We can help. Check back frequently – this section is updated on a regular basis.