Guide to Beverley Racecourse
Beverley Racecourse is over 300 years old and was used as an airbase during WWII. Read our guide and discover how to get the most out of going to Beverley Races. We’ve got everything you need, and can even help you with What to Wear for your big racing day out.
Beverley Racecourse News from Eclipse
Straight from the Horses' Mouth...
Beverley Racecourse News
About Beverley Racecourse
History of Beverley Racecourse (including WWII)
The history of Beverley Races dates back over 300 years. The present racecourse came into use around 1765 and has continued at the Westwood track ever since, allowing for a short break as an airbase during the war, when the track’s famous uphill finish actually became a runway. In the early 19th century, local trainer Richard Watt produced four St Leger winners between 1813 and 1833, including Altisidora, having used Beverley for his horses to gain racing experience.
Ultimate Course Specialist
Rapid Lad became the ultimate course specialist, winning 12 races unbeaten at Beverley, starting in 1983 – despite failing to win a single race anywhere else. In 1767 the first grandstand was constructed at a cost of around £1,000, and further facilities were added and updated since 1968.
In 2018 a new grandstand was planned at a cost of £4.8m but this was revised, and in 2019 a more modest plan was put forward to retain the structure and remodel the upper floor. If this goes ahead the work should be complete in April 2021. The racecourse is a not-for-profit organisation.
- May/June – The Hilary Needler Trophy for two-year-old fillies
- August – Listed Beverley Bullet Stakes
The Racecourse, York Road, Beverley, East Yorkshire HU17 8QZ.
- Road: From the Junction 37 M62 follow A614/A163 to Market Weighton. If travelling from York, follow the A1079; from Bridlington and Scarborough take the A165 to the A1035. From the south follow the A15, cross the Humber Bridge and join the A164.
- Rail: There is a train service to from Hull which runs every 20 minutes. Hull has direct rail services from all over the country.
- Website: beverley-racecourse.co.uk
- Telephone: Ticket Hotline: 01482 867488.