Guide to Doncaster Racecourse
Doncaster Racecourse News from Eclipse
Straight from the Horses' Mouth...
Doncaster Racecourse News
About Doncaster Racecourse
Flat / National Hunt
Oldest Regulated Race in the World
The oldest regulated race in the world, that still continues today, is the Doncaster Gold Cup, first run in 1766, ten years before the racecourse moved to its present location – Town Moor. The Doncaster Cup is part of the Stayers’ Triple Crown (the other two races are the Goodwood Cup and Ascot Gold Cup).
Doncaster St Leger
In 1776, Colonel Anthony St Leger founded a race in which five horses ran. This race has remained in existence and become the world’s oldest Classic race.
The Flat Season & Sunday Racing
The Flat (turf) season begins and ends at Doncaster but it also hosts Jump racing throughout the winter months. More history was made at Doncaster in 1992 when it staged the first-ever Sunday meeting on a British racecourse, and recently it has benefited from a £34 million redevelopment.
- January – The Great Yorkshire Chase
- March – Lincoln Handicap
- September – Doncaster Cup; St Leger FOR FESTIVAL GUIDE CLICK HERE
- October – Vertem Futurity Trophy (Racing Post Trophy)
Doncaster Racecourse, The Grandstand, Leger Way, Doncaster DN2 6BB.
- Road: Exit Junction 3 or 4 of the M18 or Junction 32 of the M1. Follow signs for the racecourse. The course is beside the junction of A18 and A638 roads.
- Rail: Doncaster railway station is 2.5 miles from the course. The station is on the main London–Edinburgh line. A Shuttle Bus service is available from the station to the racecourse at regular intervals on racedays.
- Website: www.doncaster-racecourse.co.uk
- Telephone: 01302 304 200.
The Doncaster Racecourse Directory - Local Services
Travelling to Doncaster Races? Want to know where to stay, where to eat, where to get your hair and nails done? How about where the best pubs are and the name of a reliable taxi? We can help. Check back frequently – this section is updated on a regular basis.