Feeling stuffed after Christmas? This wonderful light lunch of Crispy Boquerones with Warm Potato Salad is based on a Gary Rhodes idea.
- 2 packs boquerones – available from The Fish Society, click here
- 450g / 1 lb new potatoes
- 150ml / 5fl oz olive oil or dressing
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tsp self raising flour
- ½ tsp cayenne
- 3-4 tbsp milk
- Oil for deep-frying
- 1 tbsp fine or chopped capers
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 4 tsp of chopped fresh herbs
- Few green salad leaves
- Cook potatoes, then cut into 5mm (¼ in) slices while still warm, season and mix in 1–2 tbsp of olive oil or dressing and half the lemon juice, keep warm.
- Split the boquerones through the centre. Mix the flour with the cayenne and a pinch of salt. Dip the boquerones in the milk, then roll in the cayenne flour.
- Either: deep fry in hot oil until very crispy
- Or: Shallow-fry in about 5mm (¼ in) of hot (but not smoking) oil in frying pan, and keep turning the fish until they are crispy.
- Warm the remaining olive oil or dressing and add the capers, shallots, herbs and a squeeze of lemon juice.
- To serve, spoon some potatoes onto each plate and top with a few green salad leaves. Spoon the dressing over and sit some fried boquerones on the top.
The Fish Society was founded by Alistair Blair: “Fish landed and auctioned on Day 1 in Cornwall, The Hebrides, Aberdeen and Norfolk, and indeed in the big French port of Boulogne is processed and frozen by us on Day 2. We believe that unless you’re buying fresh fish at the port to eat today or tomorrow, frozen is ultimately superior – as long as the fish being frozen is of the highest quality.
“Quality is not just a matter of freshness. It’s also about cut and trim. Over nearly 25 years we have discerned exactly what our very discerning customers want and that is what we give them.
“And we are about service: ‘Go the extra mile’ and ‘Do as you would be done by’.
“Our fish and our overall service are intended to meet the highest standards. If you are not happy, we guarantee to resolve the situation quickly.”