Guide to Cheltenham Racecourse
Cheltenham Racecourse started out as a Flat course! These days, it’s the home of The Festival at Cheltenham – one of the most prestigious National Hunt Festivals in the world. Read our guide to find out everything you need to know about visiting Cheltenham Races.
Cheltenham Racecourse News from Eclipse
Straight from the Horses' Mouth...
Cheltenham Racecourse News
About Cheltenham Racecourse
It started out as a Flat Racecourse!
Cheltenham Racecourse is known as ‘The Home of Jump Racing’ but it actually traces its history to Flat racing in 1815 on Nottingham Hill, with racing moving to Cleeve Hill in 1818. Its Gold Cup Flat race, held in July was enormously popular, but after local troubles the racecourse was moved to its current home in Prestbury Park in 1831.
The Cheltenham Gold Cup
In the 1850s there was a movement to re-establish steeplechasing, and eventually, the Cheltenham Gold Cup over fences was inaugurated in 1924.
Today, The Cheltenham Festival (which started in 1902) is held over four days every year in mid-March and is considered to be one of the most prestigious National Hunt meetings in the world.
The Jockey Club
In 1964, Racecourse Holdings Trust (now Jockey Club Racecourses) was formed to secure the future of Cheltenham Racecourse. The group now owns 14 racecourses as well as training grounds in Newmarket, Lambourn and Epsom, and the National Stud. The Jockey Club Group reinvests all profits back into British racing.
- January – Festival Trials Day
- March – The Festival
- November – The November Meeting (formerly The Open)
- December – The International
Cheltenham Racecourse, Prestbury Park, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire GL50 4SH.
- Road: The course is just north of Cheltenham on the A435 Evesham Road. The nearest motorway is Junction 10 on the M5. Follow the AA signs to the course.
- Rail: Buses from Cheltenham Spa Station for The Festival and The Open. For other meetings, station taxis will deliver passengers direct to the racecourse and collect after racing.
- Website: www.cheltenham.co.uk
- Telephone: Tickets 08445 793 003; Hospitality Sales 01242 807 644.
The Cheltenham Racecourse Directory - Local Services
Travelling to Cheltenham Racecourse? Want to know where to stay, where to eat, where to get your hair and nails done? How about where the best pubs are and the name of a reliable taxi? Or how about who to go to for your perfect outfit for The festival at Cheltenham? We can help. Check back frequently – this section is updated on a regular basis.