Guide to Chelmsford City Racecourse
Chelmsford City Racecourse was originally known as Great Leighs and was the first new racecourse that had been built in the UK since Taunton Racecourse in 1927.
Chelmsford City Races News from Eclipse
Straight from the Horses' Mouth...
Chelmsford City Racecourse News
- 7:50pm Result: Congratulations to Autumn Flight who wins the "https://t.co/3oNQYseUeu Handicap"...
- Good finish!Autumn Flight battles best to win the last race on the night, the...
- 7:20pm Result: Congratulations to Murhib who wins the "https://t.co/85FbbZfErx Now Never Beaten By...
- 6:50pm Result: Congratulations to Arlecchino’s Arc who wins the "Support The Injured Jockeys Fund...
- 6:20pm Result: Congratulations to Luna Wish who wins the "CCR Fillies' Handicap" (T)George Margason...
About Chelmsford City Racecourse
Originally called Great Leighs
Chelmsford City Racecourse was originally named Great Leighs. Entrepreneur John Holmes saw the potential of a large Essex population and no racecourse in the county, the nearest being Newmarket 50 miles away. He took the plunge, building the course on the site of the former Essex County Showground. This was the first new racecourse in the UK that had been built since Taunton in 1927.
After opening on 20th April 2008 the racecourse license was later withdrawn by the BHA due to incomplete facilities, and it went into administration in 2009.
It remained closed until a syndicate headed by Fred Done (BetFred) bought the track, brought it up to scratch and rebranded it as Chelmsford City Racecourse. It reopened in 2015 and has gone on to be one of the busiest racecourses in the UK.
August – The Chelmsford City Cup
- Road: The course is five miles north of Chelmsford on the A131.
- Rail: A bus takes racegoers to the course from Chelmsford Station on racedays.
- Website: www.chelmsfordcityracecourse.com
- Telephone: 01245 360300.
The Chelmsford City Directory - Local Services
Travelling to Chelmsford City Races? Want to know where to stay, where to eat, where to get your hair and nails done? How about where the best pubs are and the name of a reliable taxi? We can help. Check back frequently – this section is updated on a regular basis.