Royal Ascot is a unique, stand alone event in the sporting and social calendar and dressing accordingly is part of the experience.
FULL DRESS CODE
The dress code set out below is designed to help racegoers to dress appropriately for the occasion. Please note that a different dress code applies for each enclosure.
Ladies are kindly reminded that formal day wear is a requirement in the Royal Enclosure, defined as follows:
- Dresses and skirts should be of modest length defined as falling just above the knee or longer.
- Dresses and tops should have straps of one inch or greater.
- Jackets and pashminas may be worn but dresses and tops underneath should still comply with the Royal Enclosure dress code.
- Trouser suits are welcome. They should be of full length and of matching material and colour.
- Hats should be worn; a headpiece which has a base of 4 inches (10cm) or more in diameter is acceptable as an alternative to a hat.
Ladies are kindly asked to note the following:
- Strapless, off the shoulder, halter neck, spaghetti straps and dresses with a strap of less than one inch (2.5cm) are not permitted.
- Midriffs must be covered.
- Fascinators are not permitted in the Royal Enclosure; neither are headpieces which do not have a base covering a sufficient area of the head (4 inches / 10cm).
Gentlemen are kindly reminded that it is a requirement to wear either black or grey morning dress which must include:
- A waistcoat and tie (no cravats)
- A black or grey top hat
- Black shoes
A gentleman may remove his top hat within a restaurant, a private box, a private club or that facility’s terrace, balcony or garden. Hats may also be removed within any enclosed external seating area within the Royal Enclosure Garden.
The customisation of top hats (with, for example, coloured ribbons or bands) is not permitted in the Royal Enclosure.
Children (admitted on Friday and Saturday only)
Girls (aged 10–16) should be dressed for a formal occasion. Smart summer dresses are suggested. Hats, headpieces or a fascinator may be worn but are not compulsory.
Boys (aged 10–16) should either dress in accordance with the gentlemen’s dress code (as set out above); or alternatively may wear a dark-coloured lounge suit with a shirt and tie (whereupon no hat is required).
Overseas visitors are welcome to wear the formal National Dress of their country or Service Dress.
Serving Military Personnel
Serving military personnel are welcome to wear Service Dress or equivalent.
Ladies within the main Grandstand enclosure are encouraged to dress in a manner as befits a formal occasion.
Ladies are kindly asked to take particular note of the following:
- A hat, headpiece or fascinator should be worn at all times.
- Strapless or sheer strap dresses and tops are not permitted.
- Trousers must be full length and worn with a top that adheres to the guidelines above (i.e. strapless or sheer strap tops are not permitted).
- Jackets and pashminas may be worn but dresses and tops underneath should still comply with the Grandstand Admission dress code.
- Midriffs must be covered.
- Shorts are not permitted.
Gentlemen are required to wear a suit with a shirt and tie.
Girls (17 or under) should be dressed for a formal occasion. Smart summer dresses are suggested. Hats, headpieces or a fascinator may be worn but are not compulsory.
Boys aged (13-17) should wear a suit or jacket with a shirt and a tie. Younger boys (12 or under) should be dressed smartly but are not required to wear a jacket or tie.
All Royal Enclosure compliant attire, as defined in this document, is welcome in the Grandstand.
DRESS CODE ASSISTANTS – ROYAL ENCLOSURE AND GRANDSTAND
A specially trained team of Dress Code Assistants will be on hand outside the racecourse to help visitors with any last minute concerns over their attire and provide helpful suggestions.
A selection of waistcoats, ties, pashminas and other items will be available for purchase at the turnstiles for those who need them.
Whilst racegoers are encouraged to wear smart clothes, no formal dress code applies in the Silver Ring except that replica sports shirts are not permitted.
In addition to the specific guidance in this document, please note that fancy dress, novelty and branded/promotional clothing is not allowed on site.
Ascot Racecourse recognises that there may be instances where a degree of discretion is required in determining compliance with their dress code. In such instances, reasonable judgement will be exercised.