The 11th July is National Mojito Day in America so we teamed up with The Sugar Tree to celebrate with this refreshing unusual Mojito. We’re with you in Spirit, our friends across the Pond!
The Mojito is a traditional Cuban highball and was known to be a favorite drink of the author Ernest Hemingway. It’s usually made with white rum, sugar, lime juice, sparkling water and mint. It’s both delicious and refreshing, and an elegant cocktail to boot.
However, being the rebels that they are, The Sugar Tree have given it a new twist, and have created a rather unusual Mojito by harnessing the fresh tastes of basil and raspberry in place of mint and lime, for a new summertime splash – why not make up a jug-ful for your racing picnic? It’s delicious, it’s unique and it’s sure to raise an eyebrow.
Raspberry Basil Mojito
1. For the simple syrup:
56g The Sugar Tree raspberry sugar
56g The Sugar Tree basil sugar
2. Put it together:
60ml raspberry-basil simple syrup
60ml white rum
28g (5 to 6) frozen raspberries
4 basil leaves
- Start by making the simple syrup: In a medium size saucepan over high heat, combine all ingredients and bring to a boil. Immediately remove from heat and allow the syrup to cool. (tip: this syrup can last in the fridge for a month, so feel free to make a larger batch and store it in an airtight container for later use!)
- To make the drink, muddle together the frozen raspberries and basil leaves with the syrup in the bottom of a glass. Add equal part rum.
- Top with ice, and pour sparkling water to fill the rest of the glass. Give it a quick stir to blend all the ingredients, and serve immediately.
Enjoy… And send us a photo of you at your racing picnic! The best ones will be published!
She absolutely loves her job (how many people can say that?!) and is truly grateful to all supporters of and contributors to Eclipse Magazine.
If you are reading this she would like to say THANK YOU! (And please spread the word about Eclipse...!!)
Latest posts by Karen Sargeant (see all)
- Why Olly Murs is looking forward to performing at Newbury - July 17, 2017
- WIN Tickets to see Olly Murs perform Live at Newbury Racecourse - July 17, 2017
- GUIDE TO GLORIOUS GOODWOOD - July 16, 2017