July Festival at Newmarket: FAST FACTS ABOUT THE MOËT & CHANDON JULY FESTIVAL AT NEWMARKET’S JULY COURSE
- Prize-money in the 21 races over the three days is over £1.6 million.
- The top race – the Darley July Cup run over six furlongs on Saturday – first took place in 1876 when the winner was bred by Queen Victoria.
- Two of the races – the QIPCO Falmouth Stakes and Darley July Cup – are part of the QIPCO British Champions Series.
- The QIPCO Falmouth Stakes was established in 1911.
- Saturday’s Bunbury Cup is named after Sir Charles Bunbury who founded both the 1,000 Guineas and 2,000 Guineas. He would also have founded ‘The Derby’ had he not lost the toss of a coin with the Earl of Derby!
- The racehorse Mine won the Bunbury Cup no fewer than three times, in 2002, 2005 and 2006.
- The feature race on Thursday, Ladies’ Day, is the Princess Of Wales’s Stakes, named after Alexandra of Denmark who became Princess of Wales in 1863.
- Though in retirement for many years, racing legend Lester Piggott is still the leading jockey in both Group 1 races – the July Cup (10 winners) and Falmouth Stakes (7 winners). He is also the most successful rider in the Princess of Wales’s Stakes (8 winners) and the Bunbury Cup (7 winners).
The Moët & Chandon July Festival in Numbers
- 90,000: Strawberries served to visitors
- 21,000: Cups of tea drunk
- 11,000: Meals served in restaurants and hospitality areas
- 8,500: Bottles of Champagne opened
- 1,650: Number of racecourse staff
- 220: Yards that sandwiches eaten would cover
- 39: The average mph of the quickest racehorse
She absolutely loves her job (how many people can say that?!) and is truly grateful to all supporters of and contributors to Eclipse Magazine.
If you are reading this she would like to say THANK YOU! (And please spread the word about Eclipse...!!)
Latest posts by Karen Sargeant (see all)
- Why Olly Murs is looking forward to performing at Newbury - July 17, 2017
- WIN Tickets to see Olly Murs perform Live at Newbury Racecourse - July 17, 2017
- GUIDE TO GLORIOUS GOODWOOD - July 16, 2017